The backslash symbol "\" is the reverse of the forward slash or forward slash (/).
In today's article, you will learn all the available methods that you can use to type the backslash symbol on your keyboard, whether you are using Windows or Mac and working in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint or in your browser.
Without further ado, let's get started.
But before we get started, you can also just copy and paste the backslash symbol using the button below.
However, if copying and pasting isn't what you're looking for, read below for how to type the backslash symbol on your keyboard.
Table of contents
Backslash symbol [\] quick help
|Windows direct access||Alt+92|
To type the backslash symbol on the keyboard, hold down the Alt key and type the backslash alt code92on the numeric keypad and release the Alt key. For Mac users, press on the keyboard,Alt+7ÖAlt+Shift+7ÖAlt+Shift+/.Which key combination you use depends on your keyboard type.
The quick guide above provides some useful information about the backslash symbol, including keyboard shortcuts and alternate codes that you can use on Windows and Mac. However, below are some other methods that you can also use to insert this symbol into your document. by word.
5 ways to write a backslash symbol [\] in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Microsoft Office offers several methods for typing or typing symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will provide you five different methods to type or paste the backslash symbol in Word, Excel, PowerPoint or any text editor for Mac and Windows users.
Without further ado, let's get started.
With the backslash key on the keyboard
Depending on the type of keyboard you are using, keys with a backslash symbol may not appear. However, in most cases it is located somewhere on one of the keys.
So where is the backslash key?
On most keyboards, the backslash key is located near the top of the keyboard.EnterÖHand backButton. In most cases, it's just to the left of the Enter or Enter key, but sometimes it's placed below or above the Enter key. On the Mac, it is placed directly on theHand backTaste.
Use backslash alt code (Windows only)
The alternative code for the backslash symbol is92. Although this symbol has its own key on most English keyboards, you can use those as wellAlt Numpad input method(AKA Alt Code Method) to write this symbol. To do this, hold down the Alt key while typing the Alt code for the backslash symbol (92) using the numeric keypad.
This method only applies to Windows. And your keyboard should also have a numeric keypad.
If you still don't understand, just follow the instructions below to type the backslash symbol using the alt-code method:
- Place the insertion pointer where you need the symbol.
- Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard.
- While holding down the Alt key, press the Alt Code symbol (92). You must use the numeric keypad to enter the alternate code. If you are using a laptop without a numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. Some laptops have a hidden number pad that you can press to activateFn+NmLkKeys not keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to paste the symbol into your document.
Here’s how you can type this symbol anywhere on your Windows PC using the alt code method.
Option 2: Use Backslash Shortcut (Mac and Windows)
The keyboard shortcut for the backslash symbol for Mac is[Option] + [Shift] + ÖAlt+Shift+/. For Windows users, use the alt code method by pressing the alt key and typing the alt code 92 on the numeric keypad.
Follow the instructions below to enter the backslash with a shortcut:
- First, place the insertion pointer where you need to type the backslash symbol.
- For Mac users, press and hold the keyPossibilityit's himExchangeand press the (seven) key once.
- For Windows users, hold down the Alt key and type92not numeric keypad.
Here are the steps you can follow to write this symbol in Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
Option 3: Copy and paste backslash
Another easy way to get the backslash symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method:copy and paste.
All you have to do is copy the icon from somewhere like a web page or the Character Map for Windows users and navigate to where you need the icon (e.g. in Word or Excel), and Press Ctrl + V to click.
Below is the icon that you can copy and paste into your document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch to Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint, place the paste pointer where you want and press Ctrl+V to paste.
For Windows users, you can also follow the instructions below to copy and paste this [\] and all other symbols using the Character Map dialog.
- click noBeginand look for the character map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results. Click on it to open it.
- The Character Map dialog box appears. Click on thatextended viewselection boxto expand the dialog for more options.
- Enter in the expanded viewvice versa in the search field. This is the official name of the backslash symbol.
- You should now only see the backslash in the Character Map dialog. Double-click the icon to select it. Alternatively click onchooseTaste.
- After double-clicking the icon, it should appear in theCharacter to be copied:box and then click theCopyButton to copy the symbol.
- Switch to the Microsoft Word document, place the insertion pointer where you want it, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you can use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on a Windows PC.
Option 4: Use the Insert Symbol dialog box
The Insert symbol dialog is a symbol library from which you can insert any symbols into your Word document with just a few mouse clicks.
Follow the steps below to insert the backslash symbol in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you want to insert the symbol.
- go toinsertionEyelash.
- In the Icons category, click the Icon dropdown menu and selectmore symbolsTaste.
- The Icon dialog box appears. In thesubsetSelect drop down listbasic latinto display symbols in the category containing the backslash symbol.
- Select the icon and click the Insert button. Alternatively, double-click the icon to paste it into your Word document.
- Closes the dialog.
The symbol is inserted exactly where you place the insertion pointer at the beginning.
Here are the steps you can follow to insert backslash symbol in Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
Option 5: Use AutoCorrect to type a backslash in Word
Another approach you can use to get this icon is the AutoCorrect feature in Word.
Autocorrect in MS Word is a feature designed to fix spelling mistakes like this one.
This feature allows you to assign your own keyboard shortcut to the backslash symbol. That way, you can just type the backslash symbol using whatever keyboard shortcut you assigned.
For example, if you frequently type the backslash, you can assign a key combination likeBLITZto this icon. This way every time you type the textBLITZ, Word will think you really want to type the backslash symbol (\) and convert to\automatically.
Without further ado, below are the steps to achieve this.
- go toinsertionEyelash.
- In the Symbols category, click and select the Symbol dropdown menumore symbols.
- The Icon dialog box appears. In thesubsetSelect drop down listbasic latinin the list to show common punctuation marks that contain the backslash symbol.
- Select the backslash icon and click the AutoCorrect button.
- Iscorrect automaticallydialog box appears. Choose 'Replace text as you type ' Crate.
- By default, theswindler:The field contains the backslash character. If it's not there, paste it there.
- Now click Add button and press OK.
At this point, whenever you write the textBLITZIn Word, it becomes the backslash symbol.
However, here are some things to keep in mind when using the autocorrect method to type this symbol in Word.
- Autocorrect is case-sensitive. meaning when you writeblow(in lowercase) Word doesn't automatically correct it unless you typeBLITZ(In capital letters). Whichever case is used to assign the AutoCorrect text, Word will recognize it.
- If there is text before or after the AutoCorrect text, Word treats the AutoCorrect text as part of the text and therefore does not AutoCorrect it. For example,XBSLASHwill not be converted because theBLITZJoin another characterX. Although,X SCROLLSbecomes pureX \since the X is separate from thatBLITZ.
As you can see, there are different methods you can use to type the backslash symbol in Microsoft Word.
Using the Windows and Mac shortcuts is the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always quick and time-saving.
Thank you for reading this blog.
If you have any suggestions or questions about this article, please leave them in the comments below.
How can I type a backslash with no backslash key? ›
The windows keyboard has something called 'alt codes' that letter type in any letter or symbol by holding 'alt + the number of the symbol or letter you want' e.g. the code for backslash would be 'alt+92'. The symbol will appear once you let 'alt' go.Why is my backslash not working? ›
The [Windows Key] + [Spacebar] switches your keyboard input between languages. After doing this, then try your backslash key on your keyboard and see if it works.How do I turn on reverse typing? ›
To switch back to typing from left to right, press CTRL + left SHIFT. Another way to fix this is to go to Start menu > Settings app > Time and Language > Language > Keyboard and make sure the correct input method is chosen.Is there a backward slash? ›
What is a backslash? A backslash is a symbol that resembles a line slanted toward the left ( \ ). It is a “backwards slash” that is the reverse of a forward slash ( / ). The backslash has no usage in formal or informal writing.How do you type a slash on a laptop? ›
On English keyboards, the forward slash is on the same key as the question mark key next to the right Shift key. Doing the Alt code Alt +47 can also create a forward slash.Where is backslash on HP keyboard? ›
Press the alt key to the right of the space bar (alt gr), and the key above the enter key (which should typically be hash on a US keyboard set to UK input - but on your laptop, it is actually the \ key!). This should provide a backslash! Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your laptop.What is the code for backslash? ›
In the 7-bit ASCII character set, ASCII code 92 is represented by the character \ also known as the backslash.How do you put a backward slash in a string? ›
The backslash ( "\" ) character is a special escape character used to indicate other special characters such as new lines ( \n ), tabs ( \t ), or quotation marks ( \" ). If you want to include a backslash character itself, you need two backslashes or use the @ verbatim string: "\\Tasks" or @"\Tasks" .What to do if your slash button is not working? ›
To get backslash ( \ ) if the backslash key is not working: Press keys 9 and 2 while holding down Alt key. To get frontslash ( / ): Press keys 4 and 7 while holding down Alt key.How do you get backslash forward slash? ›
Use this: A line was standing up. If it fell forwards, it's a forward slash, if it fell backward it's a backslash. this is the best sofar, imho, its really easy to remember since gravity and the notion of standing up are quite universal at least on most planet surfaces.
Why is the pipe symbol not working on my keyboard? ›
The pipe character is not hidden on a keyboard. It is located right above the Enter key. Another way to type the vertical bar character is to turn on the numeric keypad, hold ALT , then press 1, 2, and 4.Why can't I get the question mark on my keyboard? ›
Hold the Ctrl key down first, then the Shift, keeping them both down at the same time. Sometimes you have to do this twice or hold the two keys for several seconds. You should be back at your normal keyboard. For other tech tips or help consider Ducktoes Computer Services.